Sunday, June 5, 2016

June 5th

Not much happened this past week.

Last weekend was Memorial Day weekend, not a lot of mattress sales here in Europe.  But I did see some posts on FB from some fellow Marines about a guy many of us met in Iraq.  Kael Weston was the sole State Department representative in Al Anbar province when I was there in 2005.  Kael was, and still is!, a wonderful, honest, smart and decent person.  He wrote an op-ed in the NYT last week that is not just a great read but a hidden, perhaps unintentional - perhaps not, indictment of the many elected and appointed officials who don't have the same firm grasp of their accountable actions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/opinion/sunday/the-graves-of-the-marines-i-lost.html?_r=0

And he's just come out with a book on his views of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.  I'm gonna buy it.

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/229068/the-mirror-test-by-j-kael-weston/9780385351126/


And that's enough serious talk, here's some easier stuff I discovered:

When the CRAY2 supercomputer came out in 1985 it was the size of a large home appliance and weighed almost 3 tons (5,500 lbs).  The iPhone 4 I finally ditched last year because it wasn't fast enough had the same processing power as the CRAY.  The iPhone 4 weighed one-third of a pound.

The average man shaves about one pound of facial hair per year.

Lastly, there's a funny poster in my office about what Marines do, so I made my own version.


No comments:

Post a Comment